Thursday, February 21, 2013

Winter Wonderland?

   Today is February 21, 2013 which means that in one month it will be March 21, which means it will be the first day off Spring.
   I have always been a true lover of the Winter, Spring and Fall but never of Summer. Winter is gorgeous with fresh snow and crisp temperatures. I live on the side of a mountain in a tiny town in New Hampshire, this to many means glorious, sun filled days of skiing down mountains filled with fresh snow. To me it means, sitting by the fire, watching a great movie and watching the snow fall.
   I love winter so much that my dreams of retirement in 10 to 15 years (sounds like a jail sentence) was to move to Alaska. Alaska is fabulous with its small towns, plentiful wildlife, and multitude of majestic views. We traveled there and I fell in love. I am writing a book that takes place in Alaska and one of my favorite shows "Northern Exposure" (watch this show if you have never seen it, a real keeper but hard to find) takes place in Alaska. My husband is always willing to try anything, my son said he would never visit except during the summer. My dream has always been there and to me it made sense.
   It made sense up until this winter. We were having a horrific snow storm, with lots and lots of snow, crazy cold temperatures and howling winds. My husband was sick but was still determined to start the shoveling. Our shoveling is not just the front path, it means the back porch so the 3 dogs can get out, it means the path to and around the hot tub including the cover so that it doesn't break, it means doing a path to the generator so it will work if we lose electricity, it means clearing an area in front of the horses stalls (if you can get down to the barn) so you can open their doors and let them out. As I said, my husband was determined to shovel, so we bundled up and headed outside.
   After four long hours of this, we were achy, cold and very tired. I put my shovel down and looked at my husbands frozen face, huffing and puffing, he asked me if I was alright? I just looked at him and told him straight out that there was no way in hell that I was moving to Alaska.
   He laughed and said how about the Florida Keys (he knows I would never live in the state of Florida, but the Keys, I can deal with). I picked up my shovel, smiled at him and said "The Keys it is!"
   Thank God, Spring is only one month away! If it snows again, I am staying in bed till it melts!!!

No comments: