Sunday, November 20, 2011

Dog Day Afternoon


   My son has always wanted his own dog. We have had two dogs for many years now and they love him very much but he wanted a dog that went nuts when he came home and slept in his room. He wanted one that mainly belonged to him.
   So last year, a friend told us that they had gotten a puppy and there was quite possibly one more available. I mentioned to the friends that if the puppy didn't have a home we would take him. The next day, I received a phone call at work from my husband asking if I told them that we wanted a puppy. I said "yes" and then wondered why he was asking. He then informed me that our friends had gone and picked up the puppy and brought him straight to our home. My son was ecstatic and the puppy was immediately named Butch.
   Butch is a cross between a Yellow Labrador and a Beagle. He has the lab length and muscle but has the height (little legs that are duck footed) of a small beagle. This mix gives him the appearance of being kind of like a Tyrannosaurus Rex.
   He is one of the most loving, happy animals I have ever met but has the brain of a sunflower seed.
   I was working on the computer one day and Butch had gotten in to trouble for stealing rawhide bones from the other dogs. He kept trying to take the bones but kept getting into trouble. Finally Butch gave up on the bones and decided to find something that only belonged to him. He found the cone that he wore home from the vets when he was neutered. He walked around the house with it in his mouth for awhile and then disappeared somewhere.
   I got ready to go to work and wanted to take the dogs out before leaving. Out comes Butch, happy as a clam, with the cone on. I laughed so hard and then took the cone off and hid it. Later that day, I received a phone call from my son, asking if Butch was OK? I had no idea what he was talking about but my son explained that when he arrived home from school, Butch was wearing his cone.
   Now, if truth be told, Butch thinks he is a boy. He has no idea that he is a dog! He wants to spend every waking moment doing everything that my son does. Which is great, that is why we got the dog but sometimes it doesn't work out right.
   The other night, my son decided to go into the hot tub. Butch was outside running in the back yard. When he saw Harry in the hot tub he ran over to see him and then jumped into the tub. See, Very Smart!
   He is a good boy (dog) and as I said "the most loving and happy dog, I have ever met."
Have a great Sunday!!

No comments: