Saturday, September 10, 2011

For Whom The Bell Tolls

   Last night after having a lovely dinner out with my husband, we stopped by my old work place, Borders Book Store. As most of you know, Borders will be shutting its doors for the last time on Wednesday of this coming week.

   For the last month, I have been stopping in to visit with my former boss and coworkers and to see how the store is fairing. Always, hoping that maybe by the grace of God a small miracle would happen and Borders might get the money to stay open.
  Unfortunately, I was wrong. Last night, I was so saddened to see that the store is now halfway empty. I realize everyone likes a bargain but feel shame to know that these same people could have saved this company from ever coming to this.
  Borders Book Store was and always will be the greatest place to find books. It was a place where families brought their children to hang out, have food and drink while they searched for that perfect book. It was a place of warmth and security to some of the homeless people in the area and it turned many unknown authors into legends.
  This store was different from other bookstores and every employee knew that there was something special about her. She was and always will be a Grande Dame. A proud lady who always stood out in a crowd.
   My hat goes off to you with a fond farewell. My heart will always have a warm spot in it for the people I worked with and the incredible customers whose thirst for a great story always brought them back. You are one of a kind!

No comments: