Saturday, September 3, 2011

Memory In Writing

                The other day on the Writer's Digest website I found the most amazing page. They have created a site that writers can receive writing prompts. The first prompt I did had a picture of a man sitting in a room on an exam table. The only other items in the picture were a clock and an eye chart. It was not an exciting picture by any means but what WD wanted us to do is create an intriguing beginning to a story. The kicker was that it had to be under twenty-five words.
                Today, I worked on another prompt. They give you a scenario and you have to create the story around that scenario in 750 words or less. The scenario was that someone has been pulled over by the police for speeding. While trying to get their registration out they come across something important.
                I was writing my scenario about a woman who finds the very last photo taken of her father before he passed away from cancer. Well, I was deep into writing this when it dawned on me that I was sobbing. I actually had to get up from the computer and call a friend to break the intense hold the story had on me.
                My husband, I believe, thinks I am nuts. Nevertheless, he is the one who chose to marry me.
                Even though I found today's prompt to be highly emotional, it truly was fun.
                Have a great night all.

No comments: